Sunday, March 24, 2002

First Soo boat 2002

Sunday, March 24, 2002 7:56 PM

From: Arnold Nelson
To: Neil Schultheiss, Editor, Boatnerd.com

Neil, I'm here in the Ojibway office, registered in room 409, hoping to see I[ndiana] Harbor lock down at midnite. Had hoped for a 6th floor room - 4th floor is blockedby trees, even w/ no leaves.

Can you imagine it? Fifth and Sixth floors are taken by car testers! Could care less about the first boat.

Next year as soon as I hear Soo opening date (fromBoatnerd, of course) I will reserve room 607 for thatdate.

Is anyone else up here?

Arn Nelson of Foster Beach Chicago

[Then, maybe 12 hours later, I sent:

Monday, March 25, 2002 4:45 PM
From: "Arnold Nelson"
To: "Neil Schultheiss"

Neil, I did see the Harbor lock down at 0200 Mondaymorning.

Then about 1100, I'm sure I saw it again, while I was driving across the bridge. Big black hull, white cabin stock - and you did say it was on its way to Muskegon w/ a load of coal, didn't you?

Right now I'm in the Manistee public library. I'm staying at a motel right downtown, facing the river. Motel operator says they've been getting 2-3 boats a week for sometime. Those must be the boats going toAmherstberg Canada, right?

Arn Nelson, on my way back to Foster Beach, Chicago

No comments: